Best Tips for Sellers & Buyers
AUGUST 2019: Real Estate Market Data for Washington DC Metro Area
Housing Market Updates by Natasha Lingle
August 2019 Home Sales and Median Prices
The following analysis of the Washington, D.C. Metro Area housing markets has been prepared by Elliot Eisenberg, Ph.D. of MarketStats by ShowingTime and is based on April 2019 Bright MLS housing data.
- The August 2019 Washington D.C. Metro area median home price of $465,000 was up 5.1% or $22,750 compared to last year, the highest August price of the decade.
- Sales volume across the DC Metro area was nearly flat at $2.75 billion.
- Closed sales of 4,907 were down 3.1% compared to last year and down 7.1% compared to last month.
- New pending sales, however, were up by 2.1% to 4,845.
- New listings of properties compared to last year declined by 6.8% to 5,657.
- Overall inventory levels declined by 20.0% to just 7,743 active listings, the lowest August level this decade and the third month in a row of double-digit declines in year-over-year inventories.
- The average percent of original list price received at sale was 98.6%, up from 98.0% last year and at the highest August level of the last ten years.
About Bright MLS
The Bright MLS real estate service area spans 40,000 square miles throughout the Mid-Atlantic region, including Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, D.C. and West Virginia. As a leading Multiple Listing Service (MLS), Bright serves approximately 95,000 real estate professionals who in turn serve over 20 million consumers. For more information, please visit www.brightmls.com.
About Elliot Eisenberg
Elliot Eisenberg, Ph.D. is the Chief Economist of GraphsandLaughs, LLC, a firm specializing in economic consulting and data analysis. He is a frequent speaker on topics including: economic forecasts, economic impact of industries such as homebuilding and tourism, consequences of government regulation, economic development and other current economic issues. Dr. Eisenberg earned a B.A. in economics with first class honors from McGill University in Montreal, as well as a Masters and Ph.D. in public administration from Syracuse University. Eisenberg was formerly a Senior Economist with the National Association of Home Builders in Washington, D.C. He is a regularly featured guest on cable news programs, talk and public radio, writes a syndicated column and authors a daily 70 word commentary on the economy that is available at www.econ70.com.
Your Step-by-Step Guide to Buying Your Dream Home
Enter your email to get your FREE Buyers’ Guide!
Leave a reply
The Downside of Submitting Multiple Offers: A Cautionary Tale for Homebuyers
The urgency to secure a home quickly can lead some buyers to consider a risky strategy: submitting multiple offers on different properties simultaneously.Read More
The Crucial Role of Feasibility Study Contingency When Buying Land in Northern Virginia
Whether you plan to build your dream new construction home or hold it as an investment, the decision to purchase land is not one to be taken lightly.Read More
Thriving Transformation: New Developments Shaping Tysons, Virginia
Tysons, Virginia is undergoing a remarkable transformation, solidifying its position as a vibrant and dynamic urban center.Read More
Search Posts by Keyword
Search Posts by CategoryBuying a HomeHousing Market UpdatesInside McLean VAInside Vienna VAMarket UpdatesNew Construction HomesNorthern VirginiaNOVA NewsSelling Your HomeTysonsVideos
Meet The Agent
Natasha Lingle is an energetic and personable real estate professional with a proven track record of success representing home buyers, sellers and investors throughout Northern Virginia. Natasha is known for her deep knowledge of the local market, tenacity, strong negotiating skills, honesty and integrity. Whether providing expert guidance to buyers or creating custom marketing plans for the sellers, Natasha delivers the highest level of customer service to all her clients.Learn More